How long do I have to file a truck accident claim?
In the state of Texas, according to , you have two years to file a claim before the statute of limitations runs out. If you are worried that the statute of limitations may have expired on your case, a truck accident lawyer may be able to find an exception to the rule. In any case, you should seek the help of a Texas truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
Who is responsible in a truck accident claim?
Who is liable in any personal injury depends on who was at fault or negligent during the accident. However, in most cases the driver of the truck or 18-wheeler it at fault for the accident. In other case, the hauling company or truck company may be to blame. By speaking with a personal injury attorney, you will quickly be able to gain greater insight who should be held accountable damages.
An insurance company offered me a settlement, should I take it?
Never, ever, ever should you accept the initial offer from an insurance company or sign any paperwork without speaking with an experienced Texas truck accident attorney. Similarly you should never admit fault in an accident, you don’t have to and that can only hurt you in court. Insurance companies do not have your well being in mind, just protecting their pockets. Only a law firm dedicated to protecting their clients can help you secure fair compensation.
How much can I be compensated for a truck accident claim?
Compensation in truck accident claims varies from case to case. The amount of compensation generally depends on the value of:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Damage to your vehicle
- Punitive damages the judge may award is the accident was especially severe or the offending party was particularly negligent or reckless
What should I do after being hit by a truck or an 18-wheeler?
- Stay at the Scene of the accident-
- Call the police and 911 if someone is hurt
- Seek immediate medical evaluation
- Do not admit fault or talk about your insurance policy
- Do not sign any documents that are not approved by your car accident lawyer
- Gather as much information as you can about other drivers
- Take pictures of the crash scene
- Call a personal injury attorney before your insurance company